Calculate the cycle time, cycle time efficiency and cost of the university admission process described in Exercise 1.1, assuming that:
Consider the following process for the admission of graduate students at a university.
• The process starts when an online application is submitted.
• It takes on average 2 weeks (after the online application is submitted) for the documents to arrive to the students service by post.
• The check for completeness of documents takes about 10 minutes. In 20 % of cases, the completeness check that some documents are missing. In this cases an e-mail is sent to the student automatically by the University admission management system based on the input provided by the international students officer during the completeness check.
• A student services officer spends on average 10 minutes to put the degrees and transcripts in an envelope and send them to the academic recognition agency. The time it takes to send the degrees/transcripts to the academic recognition agency and to receive back a response is 2 weeks on average.
• About 10 % of applications are rejected after the academic recognition assessment.
• The university pays a fee of € 5 each time it requests the academic recognition agency to accept an application.
• Checking the English language test results takes 1 day on average, but in reality the officer who performs the check only spends 10 minutes on average per check. This language test check free.
• About 10 % of applications are rejected after the English language test.
• It takes on average 2 weeks between the time students service sends the copy of an application to the committee members and the moment the committee makes a decision (accept or reject). On average, the committee spends 1 hour examining each application.
• It takes on average 2 days (after the decision is made by the academic committee) for the students service to record the academic committee’s decision in the University admission management system. Recording a decision takes on average 2 minutes. Once a decision is recorded, a notification is automatically sent to the student.
• The hourly cost of the officers at the international students office is € 50.
• The hourly cost of the academic committee (as a whole) is € 200.