Drug testing elementary and high school students taking part in athletics and other school programs is valid. In the case Vernonia School District 47J v. Acton (1995), the Court upheld random drug testing of high school athletes. In the subsequent case Board of Education of Independent School District No. 92 of Pottawatomie County et al. v. Earls (2002), the Court extended that ruling to middle and high school students participating in any extracurricular activity.
Locate a case dealing with random drug testing involving elementary or high school students.
- 1: Articulate how the rules of criminal procedure apply to a criminal justice practitioner.
- Assess whether government interests are important enough to override individual privacy protections.
- Articulate whether elementary and high school search rulings should apply to college students.
- 3: Apply the 4th, 5th, and 6th Amendments in a criminal justice context.
- Explore the Court’s reasoning that drug testing is a minimal intrusion to students.
- Create a 1 page essay in APA format according to the instructions above. Use 2 scholarly sources for references. Be sure to utilize in-text citations.